- Up to half construction time
- Generate rental revenue faster
- Improve cash flow automatically
- Reducing site holding costs such as rates and taxes
- Reduce loss of interest on capital land and building investment and/or interim interest on bonds
*Capital Expenditure pre- and post-construction
1. Does Selcrete™ comply with National Building Regulations?
Yes, Selcrete™ is currently registered with Agrément South Africa (Certificate No. 2015/504). In Scandinavia, our Selcrete™ business partners are registered with SINTEF.
2. Are there any disadvantages of Selcrete™ versus traditional materials?
Selcrete™ offers numerous advantages over traditional materials such as cost-reduction and timesaving, greener footprints, safer, more lightweight etc. The one disadvantage is that loadbearing structures are currently only approved to three storeys.
3. Is Selcrete™ a green building material?
Yes, Selcrete™ is registered with the Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA) and delivers the following green properties:
- Fungi and bacteria resistant; insoluble and non-hygroscopic
- Lower carbon footprint, reduced impact on the environment
- Less non-recyclable waste
- Low maintenance
- Constant insulation for the full service life of the building as does not deteriorate with age
- High sustainability
- Enhances green building values
4. How does Selcrete™ compare to traditional construction materials in terms of: Cost? Thermal insulation? Acoustic properties? Fire rating?
The material costs of Selcrete™ are on par with traditional materials; however the real cost saving is in ease of erection, accelerated construction process, economies of scale and improved revenue flow
- Thermal insulation?
Selcrete™ has a much higher R-value than traditional materials like clay bricks and concrete. It also reduces lateral leakage, cold bridging and condensation
- Acoustic properties?
Sound absorbing and deadening characteristics are on a par or exceed that of traditional materials
- Fire rating?
Selcrete™ currently has an Agrément approved 30-minute fire rating (60-minute fire rating pending)
5. Is Selcrete™ suitable for building higher than a single level?
Yes, subject to a rational design per project, Selcrete™ can be used within a multi-storey environment. Selcrete™ has been successfully implemented in three storey self-supporting buildings. Selcrete™ is also a great nonloadbearing infill wall material for both new and existing structures in multi-level construction.
6. How quickly does Selcrete™ cure?
Selcrete™ products can be stripped and erected within 48 hours of production. In-situ surface beds and slabs can be walked on within 24 hours.
7. Can I leave Selcrete™ exposed or does it require a finish?
Selcrete™ walls should be plastered and painted; all in accordance with Agrément Certification.
Slabs and surface beds require the application of a screed and specified floor finish.
8. How does Selcrete™ accommodate services like electrical and plumbing?
First fix chasing can be effortlessly carried out using a simple Stanley knife. Plus, Selcrete can implement first fix items within panels within the factory environment.
9. Are there any special requirements for fixings e.g. screws?
Light- and medium-weight fittings with a max of 23kg can be fixed onto the walls. All other fittings must be floor mounted. Special fittings are advised for wall-mounted applications – please call the head office to discuss your requirements.
10. How do I become an approved Licensee?
Apply to Selcrete™ South Africa. Qualifying and approved applicants pass through a theoretical and practical training requirement and there is a once-off payment to Agrément South Africa. Stringent quality control forms an integral part of Licensee requirements.
11. Is anyone able to build with Selcrete™ blocks?
To adhere with Agrément Licensor requirements, it is necessary for all approved Licensee staff to be skilled up to work with the product.
12. Where and how do I purchase Selcrete™?
In South Africa, Selcrete™ is currently available in Gauteng, Western Cape and KZN. We are implementing plans for rollout within the various SADC regions. Please contact us with details of your requirements.